Sunday, January 9, 2011

Long overdue update

Hi friends

So as you all know my normal blog is giving some problems. I will use this old one until the other one works..

Quite a lot has happened in the last week or so. Blood counts are still up and down, so they not stable yet. My platelet count is good, but the red cells are slacking a bit.

Last week Saturday -- on the 1st of Jan 2011 I got admitted to hospital until the 6th for 'heamorrhagic cystitis'. At least I was not in isolation like with the transplant, but being in any ward is as bad. The infection is almost cleared up thank goodness as I have had it for about 10 days now.

What is 'heamorrhagic cystitis'?

It is an infection in the bladder creating the lining to dis-integrate and bleed into the bladder. It was caused by one of my Chemotherapies. Due to being immune surpressed I got the infection. It is unbelievably painful!


Then on the 7th of Jan -- as I got comfortable being out -- we got a call from the hospital... They found a virus in my blood that I need urgent treatment for as it can attack my lungs etc. We have not seen the Dr yet so I don't have info as to what exactly it is. Apparantly its a CMV virus. One problem.. The medication is for a month. 120 pills... which will be R38 000-00 for the whole 120 pills. Yes you read right, R38 000-00. We waiting on the medical aid for approval, but if they won't pay it, I have to go into hospital for a month to be treated via IV. How great? Not. They are forced to pay once I have been admitted.. We will find out by Tuesday. This new medication is going to suppress my immunity and blood counts even more.. which means my recovery is going to be delayed. Over all, it has not been a good start to the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment