Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The search begins

So unfortunately we found out this afternoon my only sibling/brother is not a match to be my donor. Therefore the search begins! Lets hope and pray we find one quickly. Funny, my dad said a few days ago: "I never thought I would say this, but I really wish I had 6 kids!"

Otherwise things are going ok for now. I am busy doing a detox and a liver cleanse and I am also receiving oxygen therapy via IV. This is all to ensure I am in optimal health. Started the liver tonight and finish tomorrow lunch time. Feeling so grotty. Uh. The stuff you have to drink is really gross. But its for a good cause!

So, a lot of friends and family have asked whether they could be tested, which I am so grateful for! There is one slight problem though. Let me explain it this way. My brother had 1/4 chance, and everyone else has 1/50 000... incl the rest of my family. The testing is very expensive, and therefore they not keen on testing friends and family who only have 1/50 000 when it is cheaper and easier to find someone of the registry. Join the registry, and if you are my match you will come up on the system. If not, save another life! There are currently 60 000 donors in Sa, which approx 50 000 are white. (USA and UK have approx 1 million on theirs!) Thankfully we also have access to the rest of the worlds register. Lets pray we fill find someone local, or even better that a miracle happens and this all goes away by itself!

I urge everybody who reads this to have a look at the Sunflower Fund's website and REGISTER AS A DONOR! Most importantly, its FREE! Obviously if you can donate some moola which goes towards testing, it would be a bonus. You can save a life without having being a doctor or surgeon etc. How cool is it, that this is live donation, therefore you can really see what a great thing you have done by registering. I will be getting involved to create more awareness at schools, universities and wherever! Please take the time to read the process of donation, it is not as gruelling and painful as you think it is!
Bone marrow donation is not like organ donation where you are on a waiting list. Wait, actually you are, waiting for the public to register! The more donors, the better chance everybody has. If you want any more information about this, please contact me :)

4 comments:

  1. Bravo for starting the blog! I am going to follow your progress here! Just know that you are not alone in your fight. What few people know is that to the 'test' for registering on the Bone Marrow Registry is just a blood test.
    We can all make a difference whilst we are still alive. Keep us posted, behind you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be following your blog closely, Simone. Thinking about you all the time. And, as I recall, you looked very cute with short hair when you were little, just not so cute when Glenda chopped your fringe short, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aliz- thank you so much for your support! I am glad someone see's the importance of it. I am telling EVERYBODY is actually really simple. Already got one friend to join today! She gave her bloods today. Success! Yay!

    Jackie- haha, that is the last time I had short hair! I take your word that Glenda is a no-no for hair cuts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone, it is just costly for some people as the medical doesn't want to pay, mine did, fortunately. I also asked for donations to the sunflowerfund in lieu of flowers at Moms funeral. I got up and make a speech about the gift of giving and the gift of time that is granted if one is lucky enough to be 'chosen' as a bone marrow donor!
    I am also from Pretoria! I can understand that you chose Cape Town. Keep you chin up and reach for the stars!
    I believe that this whole experience will make you a stronger person!

    ReplyDelete